Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Heart of Worship (Part 2)

My biggest pet peeve is this statement: "I just didn't get much out of worship today." (Ok, honestly, my biggest pet peeve is loud teenagers, followed closely by these statements...) Equally as annoying: "I loved worship today, because it was so upbeat and I loved all of the songs."

Most of us worry about what we will
GET out of worship rather than what we BRING to worship. Worship has, in essence, become about us. We think worship revolves around what we like, either:
o Instrumental (because we like it), or noninstrumental (because we think you are wrong)

o Contemporary songs vs. Traditional songs

o Clapping/Raising Hands vs. Not

- Worship becomes a war

- Worship becomes a THING rather than a LIFESTYLE

o Worship is reserved for corporate, Sunday/Wednesday

o Worship becomes something we DO, rather than something we ARE

- Worship, in essence, can become an idol

Can I let you in on a secret? Worship isn’t about us! Sorry to burst your bubble. Ok, let me rephrase that differently: Worship isn’t about what we like or don’t like, what we are comfortable with or discomforted by, what makes us happy or “causes us to stumble.” It just isn’t. Worship isn’t FOR US; it is FOR GOD!

Worship comes down to the heart.

No comments: