Friday, September 12, 2008

Ten Locations I Want to Visit Before I Die...

This list encompasses many of the places I would like to see before I die. They are in no particular order, but each one holds a special place in my heart. So... if anyone wants to join me in these adventures, please just let me know!

1. Denali National Park (Alaska): 6 million acres of unspoiled wilderness, covering all different environmental zones: streams, fields, tundra, mountains, glaciers. Capped by Mt. McKinley, the highest peak in North America. Just pray there are no oil rigs when I get there...

2. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: I have always wanted to visit this beautiful city of 12 million people. I would love to attend a Brazilian soccer game, take in the sights from the Christ the Redeemer statue, visit Niteroi (just across the bay), and enjoy Brazilian food and culture.

3. Cinque Terre (Italy):This UNESCO World Heritage sight is considered one of the most beautiful places on earth. Five villages sit clustered around the Italian coastline, hugging the Mediterranen, in the heart of the Italian wine country. Absolutely breathtaking...

4. Mt. Aconcagua (Argentina): The highest mountain in South America, this Andean peak rises to almost 7000 meters. It is considered one of the top seven peaks in the world and stands with breathaking beauty on the border between Argentina and Chile.

5. Boston, Massachusetts: The American Revolution came into full-swing in this beautiful Atlantic city. I have always wanted to see the national monuments, take in a Red Sox game in Fenway Park (sitting above the Green Monster), eat a bowl of Boston Clam Chowder, and walk along the wharf.

6. Beijing, China: This city boasts one of the largest populations in the world and contains thousands of years of Chinese history. Within an hour drive is the Great Wall of China, which is widely considered one of the most impressive sights in the world and one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Plus, who can beat all you can eat AUTHENTIC Chinese food?!?

7. Buenos Aires, Argentina: Buenos Aires is home to over 16 million people, and it the birthplace of tango and the mecca of soccer enthusiasts. I would love to take in a River Plate/Boca Juniors Soccer game, go to an Argentine barbeque, attend a tango show, walk along 9 de Julio (the widest street in the world), and enjoy the sights and sounds of South America's most amazing people.

8. Cork, Ireland: The most beautiful country on earth, with its rolling green hills and beautiful scenery. The Blarney Castle lies 8 miles away; see if you can kiss the Blarney stone and gain the gift of gab.

9. Scottish Highlands: The home of kilts and haggis; ok, maybe there are some better things about it... I know, bagpipes!

10. Tanzania: I would love to visit this beautiful country, climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, and go on an African safari. I would love to see what traditional African life looks like and experience time among the Tanzanian tribal peoples, such as the Nyam-Wezi.

Honorable Mention: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Sydney, Australia; Mt. Hagen, Papua New Guinea; Tokyo, Japan; Luxemburgh; Madrid, Spain; Brussels, Belgium; Norway and Sweden (I always think of them as the same country); Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia...

I am sure I am missing quite a few. What are your thoughts? Where are some places you have always wanted to visit?

No comments: