Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Engagement Story

For those of you who don’t know… Megan and I are officially engaged! It happened on October 21st. Many of you will want to hear the story, so I guess I am going to go ahead and write it down so that you can read it (and I won’t have to repeat it 37,000 times in the next month! No offense…) Hopefully you will enjoy it almost as much as we did!

I had been trying to hold out until November 6th before I asked Megan (the anniversary of the time we decided to see each other over Thanksgiving break), but the ring was burning a hole in my pocket. Actually, I have had the ring for the last (almost) two months, after we went ring shopping and Megan found one that she refused to take off. I snuck back later and put down a down-payment on the ring so she could have EXACTLY the one she wanted…

I arranged with Megan’s friend Amy to take Megan to dinner. Amy came up with a devious plan to convince Megan to dress up a little and then brought her to McAlister’s, where I was waiting in the back booth. Amy came in and went to the bathroom, and she called me to go out front and surprise Megan. She was totally shocked! =) Then I told Megan I was stealing her away for the evening, but I am going to pay for the two of them to have dinner soon. Megan got in the car, where she found a rose in her seat waiting for her.

As we left the restaurant Megan was totally shocked and kept asking where we were going. I told her “I don’t know,” but she didn’t believe me! Eventually I looked at her and said, “We are going to Topeka.” She replied with, “Nuh-uh! I don’t believe you! Are we really?” As we kept driving, however, she realized that I was serious. As we drove along I was talking 90 miles a minute about anything and everything. So much for not being nervous! I had burned a CD of songs that described our story, reminded me of her, or played a significant part in our relationship. We listened to that as we drove to Topeka.

As we got into town I told Megan that she had to close her eyes until we got to our destination. I drove to the plaza around the state capital, where I pulled over and parked the car. The question you must be asking is, “Why in the world would you go to the state capital of Kansas to get engaged?!?” Well, I’ll tell you…

“Did you know that the state capital dome is green because it is made out of copper and it oxidizes? And there is an Indian on top pointing at the North Star named Ad Aspora, because of the state motto…”

Megan and I go through this conversation every time one of us drives through Topeka. The very first weekend I came to visit her she told me this story as we drove to Manhattan. Two days later, as we were driving back to the airport, Megan forgot she had told me the story and proceeded to explain it all again. I listened politely all the way through, then looked at her and said, “Umm… baby? I know. You’ve told me all this before. Two days ago…” Thus, our tradition was born! So what better place to choose than the state capital!

We got out of the car and walked over to the steps near the visitors’ entrance. We stood and talked together for a while, and I began to talk about our relationship and how I couldn’t wait to be her husband. The state motto of Kansas is “To the stars through difficulty…” I told Megan that our relationship had been such an amazing journey and was a total blessing from God, and being married to her would be reaching for the stars. Our life together would be full of ups and downs, good times and bad times, joy and some sorrow, but there was no one I wanted to face the journey with more than her. We stood and held each other for a while, then I asked her, “Question?” (To which she always replies, “Answer.”) I turned her to face me, got down on one knee, and asked her to be my wife! And Megan (while crying and turning red) said, “Absolutely!” I picked her up and twirled her around (after we kissed.)

As we got back to the car I reached behind her seat and pulled out an envelope. It contained a letter I had written to Megan in February when I realized I wanted to marry her. I had sealed it and given it to her in March, but I told Megan that she wasn’t allowed to open it until I told her she could. She filed it away in her filing cabinet so she wouldn’t be too tempted! So, I arranged with one of her roommates to come over today and steal the letter back. I came by and took it from her room, but I left a present behind. I had bought a dozen roses for Megan, and I arranged 11 of them in a vase and placed it on her desk. (She found them once we returned home that night.)

As we drove to the restaurant Megan read her letter and gave me a huge hug. When we got to Paisano’s we were shown to our table. After we ordered I went to the “bathroom” by way of my car. I had bought Megan a Willow Tree figurine, the “Promise”. It shows a couple holding hands as if they are dancing. It is one of her favorites and she wants to use it as her cake topper in the wedding. I had wrapped it that morning and placed it in the trunk. I snuck out and brought it inside and gave it to our waiter, who brought it to our table! We had an amazing Italian dinner, and then the restaurant treated us to cheesecake before we left. (Seriously, check out Paisano’s in Topeka or in Lawrence if you are ever there!)

As we drove home we talked, Megan stared at her ring, and we called all of our family members to tell them about our engagement!

Thanks to all of you who have been a part of our story so far. Our lives are richer for having known you. And we thank you for rejoicing with us in our engagement. Our wedding will be July 18th at Northside Church of Christ in Wichita, probably around 2 pm.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Congratulations Daniel! What a great engagement story.

Karen LeMar Siegfried

Mandy said...

BRAVO!!! Gosh, I'm proud. *Tear* =)

ashley said...

so happy for you! awesome story!you were so thoughtful about things important to her. don't lose that!!

Aussie Pete said...

I must have missed the class on romance at HUGSR!! Congrat's and best wishes for the future.

Luke Dockery said...

Daniel,

Congratulations! That's great news and I'm happy for you and your bride-to-be.

Anonymous said...

It was perfect.

Megan

Daniel said...

Thanks baby! You are pretty perfect too!