Monday, January 5, 2009

The Secret of Contentment

This Christmas I was talking to a seven year old who is a friend of our family, and I asked him about his Christmas. He told me that it was just ok. When I pushed him to explain, he told me that Christmas was ok, but he didn't get everything he had wanted so he wasn't sure if he was happy. His mom prompted gave him a lecture on the real meaning of Christmas. We all chuckle at the honesty of that 7 year old, but let's be honest with ourselves: How many of us secretly feel the same way? How many of us get the things we want but find that they never totally fulfill our desires? How much is enough? When will we be content?

As Americans, we always seem to want more. We will go to any lengths not just to keep up with the Jones' but to surpass them. We want to have the coolest car, the newest gadgets, the best house that we can (or can't) afford... Our lives are consumed by consumerism! We live in a world of plenty but always want to have more. Contentment simply isn't an American virtue!

But we forget just how truly blessed we are. Think about it this way. I want you to keep a mental checklist that we are running through. See how many of these things apply to you:
1. Do you have indoor plumbing?
2. Do you have a television?
3. Do you have a car?
4. Do you have more than three rooms in your house?
5. Can you choose what you want to eat today? Do you have access to three square meals if you want them?
If you answered "Yes" to four of those five questions, you are in the top 10% in the world. If you answered "Yes" to all five of those questions, you are in the top 2% of the world's wealth. We really are a blessed people.

We are left to question, "When is enough enough?"

If you lost everything tomorrow, could you still be happy? Could you, like Job, proclaim: “The LORD gives, and the LORD takes away. Blessed be the name of the LORD”?

Paul's comments in Philippians 4:10ff must be REALLY astounding to an American audience. Paul tells the Christians in Philippi:

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:10-12)


Paul tells us that he is content no matter what is going on in his life. This is a pretty bold statement, considering that he is sitting in house arrest in Rome awaiting trial at the hands of Nero. And he is writing to a people who are on the outskirts of their society as followers of a "subversive superstition."

Paul calls for them to find contentment in spite of the
ir circumstances. I think the secret is found in the next verse: “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Phil. 4:13) It is surprisingly simple, yet difficult and seemingly impossible. We find contentment because God is still God, whether we are hungry or well fed, whether we are free or in prison, whether we have plenty or live in want. We can make it through because God is still God, and he gives us the freedom not only to persevere but to thrive!

What are your thoughts? I will be writing more tomorrow.

If you are at all interested in listening to a sermon on this topic, go to: The Secret of Contentment

No comments: