Thursday, April 16, 2009

From One Atheist Scuba Diver to Another: "I need some Ehrman!" (Think about it...)

Steven Colbert has interviewed Bart Ehrman twice on his books. Enjoy these; I'd love to hear what you think of their discussions.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Bart Ehrman
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Bart Ehrman
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest

2 comments:

Mark said...

Wow... This is fascinating. I've heard some serious interviews with Colbert where he acknowledges that he goes to church every Sunday, and is actually a devout Catholic. His show often turns me off, as he tends to make jokes of some matters I don't feel it's acceptable to joke about.

At the same time, at least in the second video, he really seems to know his stuff. The blind men/elephant analogy is a pithy one. Colbert is a complex individual, though certainly a gifted comedian.

Thanks for sharing these.

Daniel said...

I agree. I actually really like his show, but there are days I find him rather sacrilegious about things that I hold deeply dear.

However, he really DOES know his stuff. He can get after some of the more amazing apologetic thoughts, and he presents them in ways that make people listen. He is incredibly complex.

Frankly, I am amazed that Ehrman is allowed to publish. He takes old, rehashed arguments that have been around for decades (or even centuries) and microwaves them and serves them as something new. Frankly, his scholarship sucks, but he writes well. Another enimga...