Friday, May 15, 2009

How Church of Christ Are You?

"How many Church of Christ members does it take to change a lightbulb?"
Answer: "CHANGE! We don't do that, because we are always right!"

Well, I just took the "How Church of Christ Are You?" Quiz on Facebook, and I wanted to share my results:

Apostate Change Agent
You have forsaken your first love and God has removed your candlestick. Your itching ears have turned you against sound doctrine and you have given up true worship. It would have been better for a millstone to be tied around your neck and cast into the sea then for you to lead others astray with your false teaching. You just can't figure out why the Church of Christ across town shuns your congregation and you often find your church talked about in brotherhood papers and websites. You read books by Max Lucado and your favorite preachers are Rubel Shelley, Mike Cope, and Jeff Walling. When people ask what church you attend you wince and say "Church of Christ - but it's not like what you are thinking". Yes, you have fun at church with your small groups, hand clapping, praise teams, and Christmas musicals but you won't be smiling and clapping in HELL.

Wow! I had no idea I was so liberal. Go me!

A couple of points of discussion:
1. Now, I read a little Max Lucado when I need mind-numbing Christian fodder. I think Ruebel Shelly is just fine (but they misspelled his name); Mike Cope is no longer preaching; and Jeff Walling and I have had dinner together.

2. Yes, I was a part of a praise team. I even lead one for a while. They help people hear the parts, expecially on new songs. Plus, really well-done worship can be a HUGE benefit to the entire congregation, many of whom AREN'T SINGING ANYWAY!

3. I don't mind clapping, but I am not a huge fan beacuse most people don't know how to do it. I love small group house churches; the first century church did, so I might as well also.

4. I think I got this category because (a) I am not concerned with the name on the outside of the building; (b) I think women have a bigger role than we have given them; not preaching, but also not reserved for craddle roll only; (c) I am not concerned with typical C-of-C issues like food in the building, one/many cups, FULL immersion (where the hand floats up), clapping, big C or little c in our name, or even instrumental music. (Yes, that makes me an Apostate!) I am concerned, however, with people actually living out their faith Monday through Saturday rather than simply paying it lip-service on Sundays with things like, "All ___________ (fill in the blank with any other denomination) are goin to hell," or "Church of Christ is the only right way." That is what matters to me!

So, think of it this way. Am I an apostate change agent? Absolutely, if this is what it means. We need change in order to reach our culture. If we don't change, we become just as relevant to our world as the Amish. They are distinctive, they live out their faith, they make nice quilts... No one really wants to become Amish.

Now, I am not advocating complete and total rejection of who we are and what makes us distinctive. I like a capella music; I love our adherence to the Lord's Supper; I like that the Bible is our only authority. But come on people, let's figure out what matters and what doesn't. Our churches would be much better, and more relevant, places.

7 comments:

Karen said...

What a great post! I've really enjoyed reading your blog. It has been really neat to see how you (and I!) have matured since our days in HYG. You put your thoughts on your "hills to die on" so eloquently.

Karen LeMar Siegfried

Daniel said...

Thanks Karen! I didn't know you had found my blog! How is everything?

Karen said...

I'm not sure how I found your blog. FB maybe? Things are going well here. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. Marriage is an awesome thing.

Jason said...

I could not have said it better Daniel. My wife and I were talking a few days ago about how we wonder what the church will be like when people our age are the elders and deacons and leaders of the congregations. I'm excited to think about the possibilities that are there. I think we're slowly moving from a fear based religion to a love based one. Of course according to the bible Jesus' teachings it always should have been a love based religion but I think nowadays that is becoming more prevalent. Unfortunately it still seems that the secular world as a whole views us as those "fear mongering, close minded extremists". I think we're on a path to change that hopefully.

Long time no see man! How you been? What's going with you nowadays? Facebook me sometime.

Anonymous said...

I hope we can achieve some sort of balance in the next generation. I fear living holy and blameless will be given less attention because it seems too judgmental.

BTW you misspelled Rubel Shelly's name too.

I hope things are going well in Kansas, fellow HUGSR alum. :)

Daniel said...

Congrats on being done, Justin! I am excited for you, man! How does it feel?

Anonymous said...

I pray by the time your generation are the elders and deacons you will still have your zeal and also have the wisdom of our Lord. In the love of Jesus