Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Gospel of Beautiful Music

I often imagine that my Christian walk is a symphony. As a Christian I am simply asked to play my instrument (use my gift) for the greater glory. As a musician in an orchestra I may have a huge role. I could get a solo, my name in print, a chance to be on the billboard or stand and take a bow. Or, I could be a third french horn or the triangle player. Their part isn't nearly as big, yet without them the symphony wouldn't be the same. Each of us has a part to play to make the greater whole bigger and better than it would be without us. So use your gifts.

One of the amazing things about music is that it is universal. Now, the sounds may differ, the notes may be different, but every culture has some musical form. The technique and theory are the same, but the manifestation might be very different from Brazil to inner city Memphis to Appalachia to France. Music flows out of the soul and expresses our deepest needs and desires; it gives life to ideas that we don't have words for. It cries out our deepest longings that we might not even realize that we have.

I think this is a new way of looking at the Gospel, the Gospel of Beautiful Music. The gospel is the same across the world, yet it's manifestations might be different. Christianity in Brazil doesn't exactly look like Christianity in inner city Memphis, or in suburban Fairfax Virginia, or in France, Ghana, China, Afghanistan, etc. Yet the Truth is still the same. As Christians, each of us has a part to play in the continuation of the music. Each of us has been given gifts to use for the Kingdom, and we are called to do that faithfully. We can choose not to, and the music will continue on, yet something will be missing. So, brothers and sisters, let's use our gifts to God's glory, to allow the beautiful music to continue.

I saw this video a few months ago, but never got the chance to post it. I think it echoes the idea that music is universal. I hope you enjoy!

No comments: