Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Problem with Publishing

If you want to put your thoughts into writing for others to read and interact with, you must be willing to take your knocks. As I first tried the publication game a year ago, I was politely told to try again when I had initials behind my name.

Ok, now I have a set of initials: MDiv. Pretty impressive, if I do say so myself. Now I can send things out with my personal info and look impressive because I have the credentials. Now we can get down to business.

But, one more small problem: some editors are very helpful, but most are just a level above high school employees at local fast food establishments. They do just enough to get you to come back, but juuuuuuuuuust barely... Also, each one wants you to jump through their hoops. Do it in OUR format, in the way that WE like it, in this RANDOM format that no one on the planet will ever use but we like to be our own individuals because we do and that's that.

Also, publishers now say "the more initials the better." I am thinking of adding more initials to my name: I am thinking about adding Daniel McGraw, BS, MDiv, DDR, and WWII. But, I am open to suggestions...

The publication game is much like dating in junior high: most often the people who are chosen are the least worthy.

No comments: