Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Truths from Packing

As many of you know, I am in the midst of moving from my home in Memphis to Kansas. Aside from college (and various missions experiences overseas), I have lived in Memphis for the last almost 26 years. Throughout that period of time I have accumulated quite a wealth of stuff. Some might even say a plethora. ("Jefe, would you say that I have a plethora of piƱatas?")

I want to share a list of life lessons learned in the midst of all of this packing:

1. I own entirely too many books. Seriously, it is insane. Twelve boxes and counting. Now, I know that isn't much for some of you, but when you have to carry each 50 lb box by hand 100 yards from truck to office, it adds up! But I'm not getting rid of any in the near future...

2. I still have clothes from high school. When am I ever going to wear my high school letter jacket again? Or my Ridgeway band t-shirt?

3. I am a sentimental pack-rat. At least at first. By the time it comes to packing, I pick it all up, look through it, think "Why in the WORLD did I EVER save THAT?!?!?" then chunk it in the nearest trashcan, where I store all of my "precious" memories. When in doubt, throw it away! Seriously, you won't ever need it again.

4. I still own entirely too many books...

5. Everything gets heavier the longer you own it.
Seriously, my TV didn't weigh this much the last time I carried it. I am seriously thinking about buying a flat-screen tv. (Random aside: How, in the midst of an economic recession, do our screens keep getting thinner and made out of liquified material from the earth's core? Is this REALLY a necessity?)

6. I own four bottles of Tylenol strategic placed around my office, and I have dipped into every one in the course of the last week.

7. It is entirely too difficult to go through 800,000 change of address forms when you move. You have to change your insurance, your bank, your taxes, your voter registration, your credit card info, your driver's license, your dog's middle name, and a whole host of other information simply to be able to change your place of residence. Someone ought to form a company to handle these logistics when you move. It seriously takes the manpower of the entire US Army Quartermaster Corp to simply inform everyone that you are moving. And... you inevitably forget one thing (usually whichever one will be the BIGGEST pain), and thus wind up owing the credit card company late fees simply because you needed to live somewhere else. Sigh.

8. People get INCREDIBLY sentimental when you move. For someone who hates goodbyes, this might be the hardest part of the whole process. So, for all of you reading this, when I got embarassed at all of the nice things you say to let me know you will miss me, let me say this to you: "Thank you! That means a lot. I will miss being here, and I will miss you too. God bless you!"

9. I still own a lot of books. And I keep finding more and more dishes from college. I forgot I even owned one of those!

10. It is hard to think about setting up a new apartment. I just feel like I was getting comfortable in the new place!

And, seriously, am I ever gonne be able to "Wave the Wheat"? No offense, but it is a goofy looking cheer. But, here goes nothing... "ROCK... CHALK... JAY...HAWK! Go KU!"

No comments: