Friday, May 1, 2009

Anticipation

As a young child, my life was full of anticipation. I couldn’t wait for Christmas to come or for my birthday to roll around. I remember being eager to see my dad at the end of the day when he came home from work. I remember I couldn’t wait to grow up so I could have a job, drive, and do anything I wanted to do. Everything seemed like a new adventure, and every day had something to look forward to. I lived my life anticipating what lay in the future.


Many of us anticipate things in our lives today. We cannot wait for summer to come. We cannot wait to graduate college. We can’t wait to start our new career, buy a new house, or drive a new car. I know that I cannot wait to get married this summer. Our lives are full of anticipation. We are eagerly awaiting the day when we will achieve all that we have wanted to achieve.


How many of us feel that way about heaven? Can you eagerly wait to get there? Is it something you look forward to with anticipation?


I have heard that as you get older you begin to anticipate heaven more. Life is like a vacation: as it begins you love every minute of it, but as it goes on you can’t wait to get back home. So don’t feel bad if you don’t anticipate heaven right now. But we do need to be ready for when it comes. In Matthew 25, Jesus tells a parable about ten virgins waiting for the bridegroom. Five of them, however, did not anticipate his coming and forgot to bring oil. They are eventually left out of the party. We must anticipate that God could return any moment, and live our lives in such a way that we are eagerly awaiting his coming.


I look forward to the day when heaven becomes a reality because of John’s vision in Revelation:

“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!"


What an amazing thought! Let’s live in anticipation for the day that God will make all things new.

No comments: