Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Be careful little tongue what you speak...

I am a pretty sweet, mild-mannered guy, but I also have a temper. It rarely rears its ugly head, but when it does it isn't pretty... It's the Irish blood in me. It really only comes out for three reasons:
(1) Driving (and trust me, it often happens when I am driving)
(2) Stupid people (in many different aspects of life; we aren't just talking mental acumen, but rather people who don't think before they speak, people who prejudge others, those who think that people who disagree with them are instantly wrong without listening to their point of view, etc)
(3) Injustice

Sadly, I have a hard time controlling my temper when those things occur. Now, being angry about injustice isn't a bad thing, but I do need to watch my temper. I often think or say some mean things about people, things I probably wouldn't say if they were right in front of me.

Jesus was talking to the Pharisees who disagreed with him and his ministry in Matthew 12, and he says these words:
"Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Ouch! Those words cut to the heart of my problem. Is my temper part of the "bad" that is inside of me? How will I account for some of the things I have carelessly said?


Now, I know that this isn't meant to be universal; Jesus is talking to the Pharisees and about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and the evil words they have spoken about him. BUT... listen to what James says in James 3:
"
Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts.

Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison."

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be..."

Ouch! Once again, James cuts to the heart of my problem. I cannot proclaim God with my lips and then say mean things about the driver in front of me. I cannot worship God with my mouth and also think mean things about those I disagree with in my heart.

Taming the tongue is an impossible feat! Who, then, can be saved? Without God, nothing is possible, but with God, even the impossible is made possible.

So, LORD, tame my tongue. Help me to think before I speak, and forgive me when I don't. help me to check my temper and be positive, and forgive me when I fall short.

No comments: